понедельник, 3 августа 2015 г.

Leather Mason Jar Holder

Leather Mason Jar Holder
leatherwoodjarcraft01

Matthew did a scouting project a while back, and brought home some leather strips to make a bracelet with. I promptly stole the leather from him ’cause that’s just what kind of awesome mom I am.


If you don’t know where to find leather for crafting, I have found two really great sources:


Boy scout shops and Hobby Lobby. Stores that sell Boy Scout supplies will usually sell small furs and leather pieces. Hobby Lobby sells a bag of leather scraps for under $10. You can also go to a leather store… we happen to have one less than ten minutes away. But I don’t want to buy huge pieces for what I like to create, so purchase with a few friends if that is your only option.


Sorry I stole your Boy Scout leather, Matthew.


Not really.


leatherwoodjarcraft02

Now, if I wasn’t cheap, I would have bought a darker leather, but since mine is super light, I first tinted it with a gel wood stain. It did a fabulous job darkening it and keeping the grain of the leather. The leather piece is about one inch wide and about eight inches long. (You will need to measure your mason jar to determine exactly how much you need.)


leatherwoodjarcraft03

After staining my leather, I drilled two 1/2 inch screws into my 5.5 x 6 piece of wood. I centered it right in the middle, so take note of the size of your jar to determine placement of your leather.


leatherwoodjarcraft04

After attaching your leather, carefully slip your jar inside. You want it to be really snug so that it stays in place. Leather will stretch a tad, so again, super snug. If you leather is loose, unscrew one side, trim 1/3 of an inch, re-attach and try again.


That’s it! I am using my storage jar on my craft room wall for paint brushes, but a plant would look really cool in this too. This entire project took about ten minutes to make, and cost zilch since I had all the supplies on hand. I am thinking of making a few more for gifts. I just need to send Matthew to Boy Scouts first.


leatherwoodjarcraft05

Original article and pictures take www.natalme.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий